Wednesday, July 17, 2013

How to Occupy a Toddler and Get a Clean(er) Kitchen!


Anytime I'm trying to accomplish something in the kitchen Sophie wants to be right there under my feet.  She's so curious and most times I love that, but there are sometimes just things I need to do without her right at my feet (like opening the hot oven!).  She has a cabinet and a shelf full of things that are toddler-approved for play like tupperware, plastic lids, her bowls and plates, etc., but these lose their thrill after a while.

The other day I accidentally dropped a piece of ice while I was getting her a drink and she chased that little piece of ice around the kitchen for several minutes.  So when I needed a few minutes to prepare dinner later that evening, I got three ice cubes from the freezer and put them in one of her bowls.  
She worked at picking up the cubes and pushing them around on the floor. She loved it!  


She kept trying to get my attention about the water on the floor - it was really bothering her.  So I asked her if she wanted to "clean" and gave her a towel.  She loves moving a clean rag around when I am dusting or cleaning around the house, so she really loved having something to really clean.


My little Cinderella wasn't content to clean the floors - she noticed my cabinets needed some work done as well.  Such a sweet girl! 

Needless to say, this one is going in my bag of tricks for when I need to take care of something in the kitchen!  Sophie had a blast and my kitchen floors sure aren't gonna be harmed by the extra love and attention! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment